Saturday, November 8, 2008

I'm So Not Ready for This

Yesterday, my 13 year old son celebrated his birthday with 15 of his friends, including the girl he is "going out" with. When I asked him what that meant, he shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know.
I met her for the first time yesterday. She's cute, sweet. It was all good. Until I saw him with his arm around her waist last night. And again today, at the football game. I am not ready for this.
I never really had issues when the kids reached milestones....first teeth, walking, pooping on the potty, going to kindergarten, even going to high school. But this...this seems different. Like we are heading somewhere really fast before we are ready.
I know that they could break up tomorrow....that is typical for this age. But I also know how things progress, what it feels like to be young, and feel that excitement when someone touches you, and how hard it is to stop something once it gets started....I'm not saying I think they'll be having sex next week. Its just that, seeing him yesterday, beginning to become a young man, well, its really happening. He really is going to leave me some day.

No comments: