Monday, November 10, 2008

Time for a Change

I've been working as a choir director and organist of a local church for several years. I really enjoy the people in the congregation, directing the choirs, playing and hearing the music. What makes me feel the most successful is when I can get the choir to sing in a way that is expressive, when I demand something of them, and they actually do it. It is an incredible feeling, and even better is seeing the look on their faces when THEY see that they did it.

My issues with this job are twofold: 1) I don't subscribe to the tenets of the church and 2) I have difficulty working with the minister. These are 2 very big things. I have dealt with #1 for quite some time, and it probably wouldn't seem like such a problem if #2 weren't so bad.

I gave my notice about a month ago. My last day will be the Christmas Eve service. I feel great, knowing that my life is going to become less complicated, by virtue of the fact that I will no longer be working every Sunday and 2 evenings a week, but also very conflicted, because I know that the work brings me a great sense of accomplishment.

I have to write a departure letter to the congregation. I have written it in my head many times. But I can't seem to get it to paper, because I am so conflicted. In all honesty, I am really leaving because of the minister's lack of organization and his poor communication skills. I can't say that in my letter, I can't give them the real reason for my leaving. So instead, they all think that I am leaving because my life is too complicated (because that is what the minister told them).

Ah, it is complicated, isn't it?

No comments: