Friday, November 14, 2008

My other job

I love my job. I work for a guy who is a great boss. He is a lawyer. I am a nurse. It is a weird combination, but it works. The work I do has nothing to do with nursing; mostly, it is social work. But I love it. I can work whenever I want, how much I want, and, if I need to come home because a kid is sick, I can bring my laptop and some files with me and work from home. The pay is great, he really appreciates me, my other co-worker is one of my best friends, and I am really good at what I do.
I have waited 20 years for this.
I am so fortunate to have found it.
On top of it all, my connection with my boss came before my job...I am in his band. One evening, his social worker (my now friend) had an emergency and wasn't going to be able to work. So I told him (we were actually at a gig when we found out about the emergency) that I could help him out. I had quit my job a few months before, was working part-time for the first time in 18 years, and was about to launch my own Care Management business. He called me the following Monday, asked me to help him out, and I have been working for him ever since. The firm has gotten really busy since I started working for him, and so I have been able to bump up my hours to meet my financial needs. It is also the reason why I am finally able to quit the church job.
I am really lucky.

No comments: